½ head cauliflower – clean and chop
2 cloves garlic – chopped
1 sprig thyme
½ yellow cooking onion – rough dice
500ml whole milk
2 TBSP Olive Oil
3 TBSP Unsalted Butter
Kosher Salt + Fresh Ground Pepper
- Heat Olive Oil in a pot large enough to fit all ingredients. Sauté onions until they are soft and translucent over medium heat
- Add garlic and season with S&P. Add Cauliflower and sauté for another minute or two
- Add milk to cover the cauliflower & onions. Add Thyme Sprig
- Bring to simmer and simmer for 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft and will fall apart when checked with a small knife.
- While the cauliflower is simmering, make the brown butter. Take the 3 TBSP butter in a small pan over medium heat. Moving the pan constantly at all times. The butter will start to “foam.” Stir constantly until you get a light brown colour and a nutty aroma. Pull from heat and reserve.
- Strain the milk from the cauliflower mixture over something to catch the liquid. Reserve the liquid for the puree.
- In a blender, add your brown butter first, then the cauliflower mixture.
- Blend on medium speed, adding enough of the reserved milk to blend smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with Salt & Pepper